In the early 1950’s, founder Pierluigi Talenti fell in love with the property and grounds that today comprise Azienda Agricola Talenti’s 40 hectares in Brunello di Montalcino. It took him until 1980 to purchase the property and begin his journey as a winemaker, a journey that his son Riccardo now carries on.
The entire estate is situated within the southern region of Montalcino near the small medieval borough of S. Angelo in Colle. “Pian di Conte”, a beautiful building with antique origins that overlooks the valley of the Orcia river, serves as the iconic landmark at the Talenti winery. Today Riccardo Talenti combines elements of traditional production with a modern cellar to create wines that bridge the gap between classic and modern Brunello. His wines are both immediately approachable and built to cellar for 20 years or more.
Of the winery’s 40 hectares, 21 are planted with vines that are dedicated to creating Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino as well as IGT wines. Pierluigi personally selected the vines that now comprise the Talenti estate, 75% of which are a specific clone of Sangiovese called Sangiovese Grosso. The remaining 25% of vines include Syrah, Canaiolo, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Colorino, which are used for Talenti’s IGT blends: the Tuscan blend “Trefelo” and the Bordeaux style blend of “Rispollo”. In addition to the grapes, the vineyard cultivates 4 hectares of olive trees which are interspersed among the grapevines. These trees are a combination of newer plantings as well as older trees that survived the severe frost of 1985. Each year a new vintage of olive oil is produced at the estate using the cold extraction method in order to preserve the delicate flavors and aromas of the oil. The remaining hectares are made up of orchard, forest, and sown ground.
The Talenti estate is situated at an altitude of 200-400 meters with a sandy soil that is of medium density with abundant rock fragments. The vines are all trained by the spurred Cordon method. Planting density ranges from 5000 plants/ha for the older vines to 7000 plants/ha for the newer plantings. Harvesting is done by hand in order to preserve the quality of the grapes.
The Talenti cellar is divided into three rooms: the fermentation room, the aging cellar, and the bottling and stocking area. Following harvest the grapes are placed on a vibrating table, where they are carefully selected for fermentation. Once the grapes have been de-stemmed and pressed they enter the fermentation room. The Talenti winery is equipped with modern stainless steel, temperature controlled vats that amass 2000 hl in volume.
The Talenti cellar celebrates the tradition of Brunello aging technique, where the wine is divided during the aging process between larger, traditional casks and smaller barrels. 1000hl of the production is aged in medium Allier and Slavonian wood casks, while an additional 600hl is aged smaller in Allier barrels.
The Talenti Brunello and Brunello Riserva are both aged for longer than required by the Italian government. The Brunello matures in 26 and 18hl casks with a small percentage in 500L French tonneau for two and a half years, followed by twelve months of bottle aging.
Talenti’s “Pian di Conte” Brunello Riserva, which comes from a 2 hectare plot named “Paretaio Vineyard”, is made only in exceptionally good years. The wine ages for 36 months in a combination of French oak tonneau (500 L) and Slavonian oak casks (15-25 hl) and is aged for at least 12 months in bottle prior to its release.
The entire Talenti line benefits from the best vineyard care, precise winemaking and a natural inclination toward classic aromas, flavors and blends that evoke the style of Montalcino and its prized terroir.
Talenti Brunello Di Montalcino 2008 100% Sangiovese Grosso Download Tasting Notes
Talenti Brunello Di Montalcino “Pian Di Conte” Riserva 2006 100% Sangiovese Grosso Download Tasting Notes
Talenti Brunello Di Montalcino “Pian Di Conte” Riserva 2007 100% Sangiovese Grosso Download Tasting Notes
Talenti Rispollo Rosso 2012 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 30% Petit Verdot Download Tasting Notes
Talenti Rosso Di Montalcino 2011 100% Sangiovese Grosso Download Tasting Notes
Talenti Trefelo 2011 60% Sangiovese, 40% Syrah and Canaiolo Download Tasting Notes